From $21.51 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Welding: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Under the direction of the Department Production Supervisor and in cooperation with the Team Leader, weld metal components safely with welding equipment to correctly fit and join, fabricate, and/or repair heavy and large mechanical products in the production process of heavy and large mechanical products, per specifications and in accordance with the production schedule, making independent decisions with minimal direct supervision given appropriate instructions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Perform welding duties using wire welding GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding).
2. Weld steel components with appropriately set/adjusted welding equipment in accordance with the material(s) for the process, procedures, layouts, blueprints, diagrams, work orders, work instructions, oral instructions, and all quality requirements. This involves reading, understanding, and following a tape measure, work order specifications, blueprints, diagrams, work instructions, oral instructions, and specified procedures.
3. Individual welds range from simple tack welds to complex welds, performed in varying positions and spaces. Welding work involves set-up and laying out work using templates and fixtures to fabricate, modify, or repair parts and/or products.
4. Operate or use various hand, power, and air tools including welding gun, scrapers, grinders (portable & bench), wrenches, hammer, cutting torches, drills, punches, a tape measure, and Air Arc. Also operate or use forklifts, and overhead hoists and cranes with associated rigging equipment.
5. Keep welding equipment and tools operational by completing preventive maintenance requirements; follow manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshoot malfunctions; call for repairs; and complete daily check sheets.
6. Acquire Company welding certification per D1.1 requirements administered by the Quality Assurance Dept., appropriate for assigned welding projects. AWS 1G qualification skills are the minimum requirement for all Welder positions.
7. Inspect, clean, and improve welds as necessary to meet product and quality specifications. Perform work to the utmost of one self’s ability at all times. Continuously strive to improve one self’s work-related skills, efficiency, and the quality of output.
8. Use a computer mouse to access and open/close computer documents.
9. Perform data entry in Company’s ERP software.
10. Complete work tasks as necessary to meet safety, productivity, and quality specifications. Perform work to the utmost of one self’s ability at all times. Continuously strive to improve one self’s work-related skills, efficiency, and the quality of output.
11. Fulfill work requirements according to Company quality standards determined for the assigned work tasks, including incoming and outgoing quality checks, and other quality inspections as required. Document actions by completing production and quality forms.
12. Participate in process and/or product development and/or improvement assignments, programs, teams, and focus groups.
13. Maintain a safe, organized, and clean working environment following the Company’s 5S guidelines and Hazardous Waste Management programs.
14. Conserve Company resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish work tasks.
15. Use Company property with care and respect, help maintain it in good working condition, and retain it on Company premises.
16. Interact with fellow employees, customers, and management in a cooperative, supportive, and courteous manner; comply with Company policies, procedures, rules, and regulations; and uphold Astec Core Values.
17. Perform or assist in other assigned duties as qualified and trained.
This description is intended as a guide only. The listed duties may be changed at the discretion of the incumbent’s supervisor.
Essential Functions of the Job (with or without reasonable accommodation)
1. Perform work standing on concrete a minimum of 8 hours and up to 12 hours per day, and a minimum of
3 days up to 7 days per week.
2. Willingness to train/work during hours outside of regularly-scheduled core shift.
3. Flexibility to work additional hours beyond and/or consecutively with core work schedule when needed.
4. Willingness to cross-train and perform the work of any job tasks or positions within the Company as assigned, outside of or in addition to primarily-assigned position, work area, and/or department.
5. Willingness to assist with training and mentoring co-workers.
6. Regular and reliable attendance, appearing on time for each scheduled work day and working all the scheduled work hours.
7. Perform work safely in accordance with all Company safety policies, procedures, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements.
8. Perform work in various physical positions including standing, kneeling, squatting, bending, and reaching (temporary variances may be accommodated based on employee’s primary assignment).
9. Perform work in heavy industrial setting with exposure to heat, cold, and humidity, industrial odors, fumes, gasses, chemicals, oil, grease, smoke, dust, loud noise (hearing protection provided and required), and vibration. Work involves climbing ladders and stairs, movement of heavy objects, using pneumatic tools, working with moving machinery and equipment, working near moving mechanical parts, working in cramped quarters, and working above floor level which could include high, precarious places. There is risk of electrical shock associated with this job.
10. Ability to wear the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required for this position, including hearing protection, safety glasses, safety boots with metatarsal guards, face shield, welding helmet, welding gloves, welding sleeves/jacket (leather or cloth), and welding apron/chaps. A respirator may also be required. Fall protection may also be required.
11. Ability to operate or use a variety of hand, power, and air tools and devices.
12. Ability to use and read a tape measure correctly. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
13. Ability to understand welding symbols and diagrams, and read blueprints and/or other printed instructional materials for guidance and specifications in order to assemble and/or weld products or parts in a correct and efficient manner.
14. Ability to apply common sense.
15. Must complete and maintain forklift operation certification and be able to safely operate a forklift when necessary.
Education and Experience
1. Must pass applicant weld test to be considered for this position.
2. High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) preferred.
3. Welding training and/or experience required.
4. Relevant trade school or college course work desired.
5. Ability to correctly use and read a tape measure, and read/understand job-related blueprints, required.
6. Heavy equipment manufacturing experience desired.
7. Computer experience desired, particularly the ability to use a mouse, and locate and open/close files.
1. Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screening, physical, and background check, and random drug and/or alcohol screenings throughout employment.
2. Must be dependable, dedicated to completing work assignments correctly, and use time wisely.
3. Adept at problem-solving. Adaptable to new situations and challenges. Open to changes and new ideas.
4. Ability to satisfactorily work alone with reasonable and appropriate instructions, training, and supervision, and ability to work with others respectfully and professionally in a team environment.
5. Ability to communicate clearly and completely, expressing needs, and asking questions.
6. Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed and written and/or oral instructions.
7. Ability to handle the stress that accompanies production standards and deadlines.
8. Ability to accept constructive criticism and make subsequent adjustments, and willingness to rework incorrect tasks completed by oneself or others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to communicate and exchange accurate information. The employee frequently is required to walk; stand; sit; use foot/feet; use hand/foot controls; use both hands to finger, handle, feel, grip, or drive; use fine finger ability; use wrist motion; reach above/below shoulders; reach and carry with hands and arms; step up/down, climb or balance; and bend/stoop, twist, squat/crouch, kneel, or crawl. The employee occasionally will work outside the facility, encounter uneven or slippery surfaces, or work in wet conditions. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and hand-eye coordination.
Primary work assignment will require employees to frequently push/pull/lift from the floor to the table, and lift from table to shoulder level, up to 45 pounds. Employees may occasionally push/pull/lift below or above shoulder level greater than 45 pounds if they are physically able to do so safely. Employees are encouraged to use caution at all times when pushing/pulling/lifting. Please consider the size, shape, weight of the object to be pushed/pulled/lifted, the path and the distance you must travel along with your own physical ability. If necessary, please seek assistance with pushing/pulling/lifting tasks. Employees should never lift more than they are physically able to handle safely.
Additional Qualifications with Appropriate and Reasonable Training Time:
Welder Wage Group 2 (Entry-level): Can pass a 1G welding bend test. Capable of correctly adjusting the welding machine for different materials and thicknesses. Able to operate a cutting torch and a grinder.
Blueprint reading and comprehension of blueprint measurements and symbols required. Able to read and understand work orders and bills of material. Minimum set-up skills used, limited to jobs with few parts or work completed with fixtures. Able to complete set-up when using jigs and fixtures. Able to operate overhead hoists safely. Must wear a respirator when job task requires it, including the use of flux-core or spool-arc 83 welding wire, and when welding on previously painted parts. Help Wage Group 3 welders with set-up.
Welder Wage Group 3: Meets all requirements for Wage Group 2. Multiple-position welding qualification and air-arc desirable. Capable of setting up complicated jobs of all sizes routinely by reading and comprehending blueprints. Additional AWS qualifications required if needed for job task (i.e. flux core welding). Displays appropriate Company ERP system knowledge and skills, and the ability to be a project leader, train others, and lead 2-3 employees to accomplish the goal. Must be able to work with, mentor, and train a variety of different personalities and skill sets. Proficiently cross-trained in multiple Company work areas.
Welder Wage Group 4: Meets all requirements for Wage Groups 2 and 3, and assigned to the Heavy
Welding Dept. Must be proficient with flux core wire including 0.045, 1/16th, and 3/32nd sizes, and have
GMAW-1GL and FCAW-1GU welding qualifications. Ability to do all welding tasks required of or assigned to the Heavy Welding Dept. Use of Powered Air-Purifying Respirator (PAPR) required when tacking and welding with flux core wire.
This description is intended as a guide only. The listed duties may be changed at the discretion of Company Management.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $21.51 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Signing bonus
Daily temperature checking, handwashing, and social distancing.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Welding: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location