General Atomics and Affiliated Companies
Full Job Description
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Machinist– CNC Programmer to join the Manufacturing department at GA-ASI. Within the Manufacturing department, this position will be working out of the Machine Shop directly under the Mechanical Manufacturing team, located in Poway, CA.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Programs, performs setup and/or capability to run difficult prototype and first run production jobs.
- Programming extremely close tolerance parts using Esprit, Mastercam, HyperMill, Vericut, or Renishaw Productivity+ software
- Programs, performs setup and runs mills and lathes, which could include FADALS, LPP, APC and 5-Axis Machines.
- Must have strong GD&T knowledge to interpret engineering drawings from sketches, graphic illustrations or verbal/written correspondence to plan sequence of operations; compute angular and linear dimensions; determine cutting or grinding tools to be used, method of holding, and machine speeds and feeds.
- Develop and manage standard tool libraries.
- Plans sequence of machine operation using drawings, sketches or other written or verbal instructions.
- Assists with the development of concepts, ideas, and methods for solving milling/machining problems.
- Performs precision work to exacting tolerances for R&D and/or Production Engineering.
- Directs, guides, and instructs other machinists in daily operations along with acting as a lead and advisor.
- Reviews and interprets job requests including drawings and service requests.
- Prepares the required schedule and cost estimates.
- Orders and expedites materials needed.
- Utilizes and interprets engineering drawings from sketches, graphic illustrations or verbal/written correspondence to plan sequence of operations; compute angular and linear dimensions; determine cutting or grinding tools to be used, method of holding, and machine speeds and feeds and assists others with job layout.
- Capability to perform such operations as turning, facing, boring, chamfering, turning tapers, drilling, grooving, reaming; machine compound angles, multiple angels, radii, splines, serration’s and keyways.
- Performs all types of helical and spiral milling, drilling, reaming, boring, tapping, slotting, and dovetailing on ferrous and non-ferrous metals and their alloys.
- Capability to design and fabricate tooling aids to assist in machine setups utilizing numerous shop equipment.
- Interacts with various Application Engineers to assure the correct and up-to-date technologies are being implemented.
- Knowledge of CAD/CAM programming, along with all basic computer operations and applications required.
- Must have the capability to perform complex assignments with little or no direction, able to instruct and train others on their assignments.
- A high degree of initiative and extensive knowledge of machining is required to handle complex issues and/or situation not normally encountered.
- Considerable knowledge of the position is required to ascertain problem situations and to recommend practical solutions to complex issues related to machinist function.
- Possesses good interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills to interface with various levels of employees while performing machinist functions.
- Utilization of AICC (Artificial Intelligence Contour Control) desired
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and wherever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- This facility operates on a 9/80 schedule.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires an associate’s degree, technical/trade school training or equivalent and ten or more years related experience. Additional experience may be substituted for formal education.
Must be customer focused and possess:
- Ability to perform complex set-up and fabrication of machined parts with no direction.
- Ability to instruct and train machinist staff.
- A high degree of initiative and extensive knowledge of machining equipment including ability to use judgment and safe practices.
- Ability to read, interpret and explain complex or unusual engineering drawings, sketches and verbal and written instructions.
- Skills to maintain the flow of work within the unit using independent judgment in solving complex or unusual problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and written communication skills to interface with employees, management and customers/outside representatives.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to work both independently and lead in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
- Must be available to work 1st or 2nd shift.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.