Full Job Description
Role & Responsibilities
- Analyze engineering models and drawings to define the sequence of machining operations to ensure that the design intent and component quality can be achieved.
- Make proper cost estimations, taking into consideration such factors as materials, speeds, type of cutters, feeds and control system limitations.
- Work closely with machinists, quality personnel, design engineers, and management to develop successful commercial proposals.
- Must have experience with simple turning to complex 5 axis machining methods and fixture design; experience with turning and milling programming.
- Experience with sourcing materials and finishes
Required Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with a range of different machining processes including 5-axis milling, live-tooling lathes, grinding, and EDM
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T).
- Exotic alloys and their material properties, cutting tools and machine tool capabilities to develop a part machining plan.
- Protocols, standards, technologies, and machining applications.
- Reviewing customer RFQs for both deliverable and quality requirements
- Communicating with customers to accurately define requirements and expectations.
- Supply chain management and sourcing methodologies
- Consolidating all outside costs and internal costs associated with process time in engineering, machining, finishing and QC.
- Creating detailed quote packages for final review.
- Managing quote logs and tracking conversion, margin, and on-time delivery KPIs.
- Experience with a modern CAD package such as Solidworks, Inventor, Onshape, Fusion360, Siemens NX, etc.
- Familiarity with modern ERP/MRP systems
- Parse key manufacturing and specification requirements from 2D drawings and CAD models.
- Manipulate and modify 3D CAD models
- Provide technical support to production manufacturing teams and DFM feedback to customers
- Monitor and respond to performance feedback related to project pricing, lead times, and order conversion rates.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally, and in writing.
- Operate effectively in a team environment.