Full Job Description
Humanetics is the pioneer and global leader in the design, manufacture and supply of anthropomorphic test devices (ATDs), calibration equipment, crash sensor instrumentation and crash software modeling. Humanetics also offers a growing portfolio of active safety testing products for ADAS and autonomous vehicles. Its devices and simulation software are used to develop safety systems in vehicles, airplanes, helicopters and space rockets. In the automotive sector alone, Humanetics serves 100% of the OEMs and Tier I safety suppliers worldwide.
The CNC programmer is a production support role to develop machine programs and processes for new product releases, engineering changes, and R&D. As a CNC Programmer, you will be responsible for reviewing technical blueprints, writing 3, 4, and 5 axis CNC programs, program validation, work holding design, work instruction development, machine process routing development, and the continuous improvement of machining processes.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provide numerical control (NC) files and programs, methods, and technical support to the Machine shop and Quality as required.
- Review programming requests and blueprints to assist with determining the most efficient and cost-effective methods for machining.
- Develop tooling solutions, as needed; both cutting tools and fixtures.
- Analyse and select speeds and cutting tools for programs.
- Make calculations for programming; including where materials should be cut.
- Create tool list.
- Translate instructions and designs into a computer aided manufacturing (CAM) program.
- Create 3, 4, and 5 axis machine programs from supplied part models and specifications.
- Define print conforming material and billet size for machining process.
- Define process steps and time to route product through in-house and external machining sequences to achieve most efficient process to produce our products.
- Check completed programs by running simulations or tests.
- Design and generate fixture and shop aids.
- Review and update existing programs.
- Validate new and updated programs. (This is a hands-on function)
- Setup and Load machine.
- Run Program.
- Inspect and measure part to verify the machine is producing print conforming parts.
- Ensure there are no yield rate issues.
- Make Program and Instruction updates as required.
- Provide and/or assist with programming training.
- Work with machine operators on 1st piece runs.
- Practice safe working habits and follow all safety policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Create work instructions.
- Troubleshoot issues during the manufacturing process, including fixture design and programming.
- Review 3D CAD design blueprints.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Evaluate designs to ensure machining capability and reduce constraints where possible.
- Provide feedback to Product and Manufacturing Engineers.
- Understand the application of Lean Mfg. in a tooling environment.
- Monitor and review machine programs/routings for accuracy to make sure they are capable to meet blueprint requirements while efficiently, safely, and successfully completing the task.
- Propose and implement new technologies (software and hardware) to keep or drive “Best in Class”.
- Make improvements by reducing set-up and process times.
- Thorough understanding and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret complex machining blueprints.
- Extensive 3 axis CNC programming experience using CAM software.
- Knowledge of and proper use of measuring tools/gauges and cutting tools.
- Strong mathematical skills, including the ability to calculate proportions, percentages, area circumferences, volume, and tolerance stack-up.
- Ability to analyse data and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to identify and provide solutions to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Work on complex projects with general direction and minimal oversight.
- Work to company priorities and schedule workload to meet deadlines.
- Able to provide accurate and timely status updates on projects and work assignments.
- Take the initiative to trouble-shoot and correct process and program problems.
- Effectively handle tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Willing to support or provide training to develop vendors and other Humanetics employees.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to integrate and work with all departments. (Manufacturing, Engineering, Purchasing, Sales, FEA, Finance, and Quality)
- Work overtime when required, which may include Saturday.
- 4 and 5 axis CNC programming experience is a plus.
- Programming experience in Griffo Brothers is a plus.
- Mori lathe programming experience with live tooling a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of DMU/DMG 5 axis, Mori NXL2500SY lathe, Mazak Mazatrol, Hurco Ultimax, and Haas 3 and 4 axis operation and controls is a plus.
- Proficiency using Autodesk Inventor or other CAD (solid modelling) software is a plus.
- Experience in leading processes, projects, and driving improvement opportunities.
- Engineering background a plus.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required; Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or trade school preferred.
- 5 years related experience writing CNC programs in a tooling/machining environment.
- 3 years’ experience in aspects of tooling fabrication and/or machining practices.
- 3 years’ experience using Edgecam or other mainstream CAM software.
- Basic competency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated proficiency with GD&T.
- Commitment to continuous improvement along with a professional and positive attitude.
- Demonstrated strong work management skills with the ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects.
- Experience in fixturing, proving out of programs, and working with machine operators.
Humanetics is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations